There are important tips in choosing food so that we always feel full for a long time. We will describe the menu selection of complex carbohydrates.
Complex carbohydrates are the type of carbohydrates that take longer to digest. This can help maintain blood sugar levels and make you feel fuller.
Wheat and brown rice are food sources of complex carbohydrates. Complex carbohydrates can generally be found in whole grains
Humans need carbohydrates as one of the main energy sources. In general, carbohydrates are divided into two, namely simple carbohydrates and complex carbohydrates.
Complex carbohydrates are a type of carbohydrate that have a longer and more complex molecular chain than simple carbohydrates.
Meanwhile, simple carbohydrates are types of carbohydrates that have small molecular chains. Fibre and starch are complex types of carbohydrates, while simple carbohydrates are sugar.
Simple Carbohydrates vs Complex Carbs
Lately, society and white rice seem to have a love-hate relationship. On the one hand, we really like it because it fits perfectly with all types of food. While on the other hand, white rice is considered high in calories and sugar, so we want to avoid it. But don’t rush to find a substitute, why? check the following.
Are complex carbohydrates better than simple carbohydrates?
Complex carbohydrates are believed to be better than simple carbohydrates for the following reasons:
1. Complex carbohydrates keep you full longer and keep blood sugar levels stable
Most foods made from simple carbohydrates provide an instant source of energy, but they are digested quickly and can raise blood sugar sharply. You will feel hungry again soon after.
However, complex carbohydrates have a longer time to digest, which keeps blood sugar levels stable and provides the body with longer lasting energy.
In people with type-2 diabetes, complex carbohydrates help manage blood sugar spikes after meals. In addition, complex carbohydrates also have a lot of fibre which moves slowly through the digestive tract.
The amount of fibre found in food will affect hunger. The more fibre, the longer you will feel full and helps control the amount of food you eat.
2. Complex carbohydrates have more nutrients
Complex carbohydrates often contain fibre, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that simple carbohydrates do not. The number of these nutrients can certainly improve overall body health. Not only that, the fibre contained in it can also improve digestion to avoid constipation and other digestive disorders.
3. Complex carbohydrates are good for the heart and help you lose weight
Foods rich in soluble fibre found in complex carbohydrates, such as apples and oatmeal can help lower LDL or bad cholesterol levels. Apart from that, fibre can also help you lose weight and keep it off for the long term. It’s no wonder that complex carbohydrates can reduce the risk of several chronic health conditions, such as type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and some cancers.
Before that, you must understand what carbohydrates are. The substances in the rice are composed of three main components, namely fibre, starch and sugar. These macronutrients can also be divided into two types, namely simple and complex carbohydrates. What’s the difference like?
Simple carbohydrates are basically sugar. Because, that’s the main component contained in it. These carbohydrates are more easily digested by the body to be converted into energy. You can get it from milk, cakes, soda, white bread, candy, and other high-sugar foods.
Meanwhile, more complex carbohydrates are composed of starch and fibre, so that the digestion process takes longer. This is because the sugar molecules in these substances are arranged into more complex chains. Therefore, the sugar content tends to be lower.
Simply to say, when you eat simple carbohydrates, you get hungry faster because of the fast digestion process. Meanwhile, complex carbohydrates keep you full longer. The energy supply is also available for a longer duration.
The reasons above are what make complex carbohydrates healthier than simple carbohydrates. As a bonus, you can also use it to speed up weight loss. Here are several complex carbohydrate foods that are good for you!
- Brown rice and brown rice. Although the taste may not be as good as white rice, these two options are more thigh in fibre and minerals and low in sugar
- Wheat. Apart from being rich in fibre, it contains protein and minerals. So, replace flour, pasta, and bread with wheat-based ones
- Sweet potatoes. The process of digesting these tubers is quite slow, so you will be full longer. It is also rich in fibre, starch, vitamin C, and beta-carotene
- Potatoes. Not inferior to sweet potatoes, potatoes are also good for our digestion. This carbohydrate source is also rich in potassium, vitamins C, B6, and folate
- Peas. Not many know, ‘the green’ is a source of complex carbohydrates. The fibre they contain is also very high
- Oats. Foods that are often consumed for breakfast are composed of 85 percent starch and 11 percent fibre. So, it is very good for our digestion
- Quinoa. It is a very nutritious grain. It is rich in protein and minerals, contains 9 essential amino acids, and is gluten-free
- Nuts. They are rich in fibre, protein and minerals. For example, green beans, kidney beans, and green beans
- Fruits rich in fibre are also a source of complex carbohydrates. You can get it from apples, various berries, and bananas
- Vegetables that are high in fibre can also be your choice. Examples include carrots, broccoli, asparagus, zucchini, and green vegetables
It turns out that there are so many, yes, foods that are a source of complex carbohydrates. Everything mentioned above is relatively healthier and nutritious than rice. You can also use it as food for your diet. And of course, these foods can be modified according to your taste!